Grayrigg CE School - Start Small Think Big

Applying for a place at Grayrigg School

How do I make an application for a Nursery place?

We welcome children into our nursery from 3 years of age.

Every child is entitled to 15 hours per week (some are entitled to 30 hours) of free nursery care during school term time from the term after they turn three - the school claims funding for those hours from the Local Authority – a copy of your child’s birth certificate is required for this.

These hours can be used in three hour sessions in the morning or afternoon, full days (7 hours) and for before or after school care from 8 to 8.30am and 3.30 to 5.30pm.

If you require additional sessions or hours outside of the 15 or 30 hour entitlement these are charged at £4.48 per hour and are available as soon as your child is three years old.

If you require additional care before or after the school day this will be available as follows:

From 8.00am until 8.30am - £4.48 or as part of 15/30 hr entitlement.

From 3.30pm until 4.30pm - £4.48 or as part of 15/30 hr entitlement.

From 4.30pm until 5.30pm - £4.48 or as part of 15/30 hr entitlement.

Please contact us to make a booking or arrange a visit.

Further information on free early education for 3 and 4 year olds can be found here.

How do I make an application for a Reception place?

If you live in Westmorland & Furness and your child was born between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020, they will be due to start school in the Reception year group in September 2024. You must apply to Westmorland & Furness Council for a school place under the Local Authority’s Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme. Our admissions policy can be found on the policies page of our website here.

The closing date for applications is 15 January 2024.

More information on how to apply can be found here.

If you live outside Cumbria, apply through your local council; even though you want a place in a school in Cumbria.

How do I make an application when moving from another school?

If you are considering moving your child from another school to Grayrigg, you can contact us to apply directly or follow the link above to apply via Westmorland & Furness Council School Admissions.

What is the catchment area and do I have to live in the catchment area to apply?

A map of our catchment area can be viewed here. However, 40% of the children currently attending our school come from outside of our catchment area, with the majority of them travelling from Kendal. Most of them travel to take advantage of our ethos and small school, rural environment.

“The journey is fine - in fact it is quicker travelling up to Grayrigg than it was dropping my girls off at Nursery in Kendal because there is no traffic”